Each year CIAF attracts many visitors who fly to Cairns to experience the vibrant Indigenous culture in Tropical North Queensland. Cairns Airport recognises the importance of the indigenous culture and heritage in this region and together with Cairns Indigenous Art Fair (CIAF) have developed an annual Public Art Commissioning Project which will span over the next five years.
We will be inviting local QLD Indigenous artists to answer an Expression of Interest (EOI) to design a sculptural/artistic element, to be commissioned and then permanently displayed within the Cairns Airport T2 Domestic Terminal. The awarded commissioned piece will firstly be displayed at CIAF prior to its final destination at Cairns Airport.
YEAR ONE: 2019-2020
The inaugural EOI will be announced and issued at CIAF 2019 on Friday 12 July. Information will be given to all Indigenous artists and also emailed to each community for distribution after CIAF.
Consultation on requirements and ideas for the Public Art will take place between September and December 2019. Artists will be invited to submit an EOI by 14 February 2020, with the winning submission announced in February 2020, following judging by both Cairns Airport and CIAF
STAGE 1 | EOI & Submission
Deadline: 14 February 2020
STAGE 2 I JUDGING & Selection
Date: February/ March 2020
STAGE 3 | Artwork produced
Deadline: 30 June 2020
STAGE 4 I Display at CIAF/New EOI Opens for 2020
10-12 July 2020
STAGE 5 I Permanent Display at Airport
Date: September 2020
The theme for 2019/2020 is to represent The Great Barrier Reef in 3D/Sculptural form by a Queensland Indigenous Artist.
The space allocated for this art piece is large rectangular ceiling above the new food court precinct leading up to the escalators in the completed Cairns Airport T2 Domestic Terminal.
- Ceiling void dimensions: 20m long x 5.9m wide x 9.1m high
- Bottom of sculpture to be minimum of 4.5m above the ground floor
- Total weight not to exceed 50kg per lineal metre
- Fixing points are to be evenly distributed
- Design to be reviewed by Cairns Airport to ensure clear sight lines are maintained for security cameras and wayfinding signage
- 200-300 word response to the brief detailing your interest in this project
- 200 word description of your art practice and experience
- Artist CV including contact detailsSketch or design of the proposed sculpture for the location
- Four + images of relevant examples of recent work (JPG /PNG)
- Estimated break down of budget for commissioning project
SELECTION CRITERIA / JUDGING PANEL:
Use of sustainable products or recycled waste materials recommended
Judging panel consists of:Janina Harding (CIAF), Teho Ropeyarn (Artist), Norris Carter (Cairns Airport), Tracey Groves (Cairns Airport), T2 Domestic Terminal Upgrade Project Team Member (Cairns Airport)
SITE INSPECTION VIEWING:
If you would like to arrange a site inspection of the space at Cairns Airport, please contact: India Collins - email@example.com
All queries relating to this project should be sent to: India Collins: firstname.lastname@example.org