BULMBA – BARRA ..'When bare feet touch the earth'
The Cairns Indigenous Art Fair invites you to apply to be a part of the CIAF’s 6th Fashion Performance.
Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now being called for Queensland’s Indigenous fashion designers, and art centres to showcase their collections in this year’s performance, Bulmba-barra - When barefeet touch the earth – jointly curated by dynamic foursome; craftsman and cultural practitioner, Bernard Singleton, artist and sustainable fashion designer Simone Arnol, and creative directors and choreographers Rita Pryce and Peggy Misi of Pryce Centre and Baiwa Kazil.
The Cairns Indigenous Art Fair’s Fashion Performance is a leading artistic platform where indigenous culture is celebrated through art, fashion, modelling, dance and performance.
The Fashion performance was launched in 2013 by Grace Lillian Lee and has become known for featuring a wide range of Indigenous artists and designers who are actively expressing themselves through fashion and textiles. The project creates a unique space for a wide array of creatives to come together collaboratively from dance, music and art in order to present a contemporary fashion performance that has gained National and International recognition from as far as Vogue Japan to Lifestyle Vogue Australia.
In 2018 CIAF’s newly appointed creative team are opening the opportunity up to all QLD Indigenous designers who are interested in pushing the boundaries of Fashion, Art and Culture. In addition to their curatorial duties, the creative team will also be working with successful applicants to ensure that their collection is showcased at the highest possible level. CIAF is looking for unique techniques and textures whilst highlighting these pieces through the act of adornment, presentation and performance with a key focus on the four elements – earth, wind, fire and water.
The aim of the CIAF Fashion Performance is to bring together contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander fine art with high end fashion through two innovative and professional catwalk performances. With the purpose to promote contemporary Indigenous design and to empower Indigenous youth through representation of who they are and where they come from, CIAF has created an opportunity for designers and models to share the act of adornment, presentation, mentorship and collaboration.
As the number of collections able to be showcased throughout CIAF’s Fashion Performance is limited to 10, acceptance can be a competitive process. Please provide five strong images to visually document your collection and a short collection statement, outlining the concept and ideas behind the collection.
To be selected:
- CIAF will charge $250+GST to each Art Centre/Designer to participate in the show, and this fee must be paid by the 30th June 2018.
- Designers will need to be present at the “2018 CIAF Fashion Performance” on Friday, 13th July and Saturday 14 July to be acknowledged as the designers during the show and to help sell your designs at the pop-Up shop, if interested.
- Each collection will require a minimum of 6 “complete looks” with a maximum of 10 “complete looks” that can be worn with bare feet
- Male and Female designs are required and in size 10
- The theme for 2018 reflects the four elements of earth, wind, fire and water – we encourage you to consider this when designing your collections
- Collections will be available for sale during the 2018 CIAF event at the Pop Up Shop dependent on the decision of the designer.
- Upload a minimum of 5 images of your collection (please credit your images when naming the jpeg. include model/photographer). Please provide a high resolution image of min 300dpi.
Please complete and submit this form by COB on Friday, 4th May 2018
Selection will be made by 11 May and collection is due in Cairns by 29 June.