EOI for Fashion Designers now open
The Cairns Indigenous Art Fair (CIAF) invites you to apply to be a part of the CIAF’s 8th Fashion Performance. Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now being called for Queensland’s Indigenous Designers, Art Centres, Artists and Creatives working in fashion design and wearable art. In keeping with the Art Fair’s focus on climate change the fashion performance centres around our water environment, its current situation, and how it affects indigenous people.
This year’s showcase is created by:
Simone Arnol - Artist, Seamstress and Sustainable Fashion Designer
Bernard Singleton - Craftsman, Curator and Cultural Practitioner
Hans Ahwang - Freelancer, Professional Dancer, Model, Choreographer and Mentor.
We must practice in the water culture continuum. Water is life. We are drawn to it. Water makes up 70% of our body, 75% of our brain, nearly 90% of our lungs, 82% of our blood and covers over 70% of the Earths surface.
In all corners of the globe people relate both opportunity and tragedy to water. Sometimes too much water, sometimes too little. But increasingly, the presence of or absence of water is chaotic, with its unpredictable patterns forever resulting in natural disaster. Water is mystical, religious, powerful, revered and feared. It is the tie that binds every thing, both animate and inanimate regardless of the outcome. It is core to life for Indigenous peoples therefore protecting and managing water is to be a custodial and intergenerational responsibility. Water is to be a deep and underlying narrative that will be showcased throughout this year's fashion performance.
This years showcase will focus heavily on sustainability, eco friendly, recycling, re-purposing, caring and sustaining water and country. It compliments the 2020 International Year of Plant Health and helps the melding of traditional and contemporary designs, traditional craft techniques, new media, performance, wearable art and of course fashion.
The project creates a unique space for a wide array of creatives to come together collaboratively from dance, music and art in order to present a contemporary fashion performance that has gained National and International recognition from as far as Vogue Japan to Lifestyle Vogue Australia. In 2020 CIAF’s appointed creative team are opening the opportunity up to all QLD Indigenous Designers who are interested in pushing the boundaries of fashion, art and culture. In addition to their curatorial duties, the creative team will also be working with successful applicants to ensure that their collection is showcased at the highest possible level within two innovative and professional catwalk shows. With the purpose to promote contemporary Indigenous creatives and to empower Indigenous youth through representation of who they are and where they come from.
We envision this year's fashion performance to be made up of full collections. As the number of collections able to be showcased throughout CIAF’s Fashion Performance is limited to 10, acceptance can be a competitive process. Please provide five strong images to visually document your collection and a short collection statement outlining the concept and ideas behind the collection.
To be selected:
- CIAF will charge $250 + GST to each Art Centre/Designer to participate in the show, and this fee must be paid by the 24 April 2020.
- Designers will need to be present at the “2020 CIAF Fashion Performance” on Thursday 9 July and Friday 10 July to be acknowledged as the designers during the presentation and to help sell your designs at the Pop-Up shop and CIAF Art Market.
- Each collection should consist of 6 to 10 COMPLETE LOOKS that can be worn with bare feet.
- Please note that movement and elements of performance are required in each collection so garments must be not be too restrictive.
- The theme for 2020 reflects the many water environments and ecosystems that are affected by climate change and we encourage you to consider this throughout the design and concept of your collection.
- Showcased collections will be available for sale during the Friday 10 July performance at the Pop-Up Shop and Saturday 11 July at the CIAF Art Market.
- Designs/collections are exclusive to the CIAF Fashion Performance only and must not be showcased or exhibited beforehand
Please complete the below details by COB on 31 March 2020. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Selection will be made by 20 April and full collections are due in Cairns by 29 May 2020.